Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Post food apocalypse converstaions

I am now struggling to re-learn which foods are most safe for me to eat. No nothing is wrong with me health wise like food allergies or celiac disease. I watched the Movie Food Inc. and now want to read the book. As a result of this film I decided to devote a substantial focus to this topic here in my blog. On facebook I started the conversation with some friends. What I am learning is shocking and upsetting. But then hey why not, education and being well informed are good things.  My friend Marla Hanover has posted the following information. I will research this subject and report back here.

-Marla

The item I was telling you about, I didn't have the article in front of me, here is what it says "Manufacturers are protected by the 1976 Toxic Substances Control Act, which allows them to keep vital information secret, even if the chemical in question is hazardous to your health."
The act was originally designed to protect trade secrets, but with so many chemicals being used in everything from household cleaners and furniture to baby bottles and the lining of some canned foods, the odds of you being exposed to toxicity in your own home are exponentially high.

There are some 84,000 commercial chemicals in use in the U.S. ... See Morealone, but according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), 20% are actually kept secret.

I had my number wrong yesterday I said 112, actually 116 toxic chemicals are in the bodies of people of all ages, and some of those chemicals have been banned for more than two decades. So the question is what are we really feeding our bodies?

"We've only been able to regulate a handful of chemicals and we know very little about the rest." Lisa Jackson, EPA administrator...nice! -Marla

Here are links to the movies; Food Inc.
Movie Food Inc.
And a link to Fresh
Fresh the Movie

No comments: